While you’ve been able to change the default install folder in Steam for a while, moving games you’ve already installed has been a pain. Valve seems ready to fix that with a new feature that lets you move games with a couple of clicks.
The new feature is reportedly showing up for several users in the latest Steam client update, though I was unable to confirm on my own account. This may be a quiet rollout that Steam is testing. However, if it’s rolling out to everyone it will be a welcome feature. To move your install folder for a game, follow these steps:
- Find the game you want to move in your Games library.
- Right-click it and select Properties.
- Click the Local Files tab.
- Click Move Install Folder.
- Choose a new location where you’d like to store your game.
The game should then be moved to the new spot on your computer. You’ll have to do this process one at a time for each game you want to move, so you still might want to try the old method. However, for moving a couple of games, this is much handier.