Our friends at SodaStream are offering one lucky reader and a guest five nights in Iceland’s capital city – the former viking settlement of Reykjavik. The prize includes flights, accommodation and $1000 spending money for a total value of more than $15,000! Here are the details on how to enter.
UPDATE: This competition is now closed. We’ll be announcing the winner soon!
Reykjavik is the home of iconic Game of Thrones star Thor “The Mountain” Bjornson, who recently featured in a hilarious video Shame or Glory, which urges Aussies to ditch plastic water bottles.
Research commissioned by Sodastream revealed while 90 per cent of Australians claim to be making the effort to recycle everything or almost everything they use, the reality is far different. In fact, Australians recycle only a third of the billion plastic bottles sold around the country each year.
“Shame or Glory is a bit of fun, but Australia’s plastic problem is no joke,” Bjornsson said.
Major Prize is valued at $15,000 AUD, including:
- Return economy flights for 2 persons to Reykjavik, Iceland, from any Australian capital city (transfers not included.)
- 5 nights accommodation for 2 persons in Reykjavik, Iceland (hotel dependent on travel dates – 4 star minimum.)
- A monetary cheque or bank transfer valued at $1,000 AUD.
This is easily one of the coolest prizes we’ve given away. Precisely how “cool” is up to you – the winner has 12 months to arrange their holiday which means you can visit in the summer, winter, or anywhere in-between!
The above video is part of SodaStream’s Walk of Shame campaign: a controversial attack on the bottled water industry which it accuses of causing unnecessary pollution via the mass production of disposable plastic. Sodastream is calling for Aussies to ditch the plastic bottles and drink tap water instead. (You can read all about it here.)
Next Thursday (8 Dec), we’ll be hiding five secret questions in the Lifehacker Newsletter relating to the above video.
Here’s how to play:
- Carefully study the SodaStream ‘Walk of Shame’ YouTube video. (We advise making a mental note of all the little details to improve your chances of winning.)
- Keep an eye out for Lifehacker’s next newsletter which drops on December 8 at approximately 3:30pm. (Not a subscriber? Click here!)
- Find the five “hidden” questions in the embedded articles and email your answers to [email protected] under the subject ‘SodaStream’.
The first reader to correctly email the answers wins!
• Competition closes 12pm AEST on 9 December 2016. Winners will be announced on site / contacted via email within 24 hours.
• Entry open to all residents of Australia over 18. Full terms and conditions.
Reykjavik is the birthplace of SodaStream spokesperson and Icelandic strongman Hafþór Júlíus “Thor” Björnsson – better known as Ser Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane on Game Of Thrones.
Situated on the coast of Iceland, it is the country’s largest city and serves as a gateway to the astonishing geographic sights beyond. The city is home to many attractions, including the National and Saga museums (which trace Iceland’s Viking history), the looming Hallgrimskirkja church (which offer spectacular views of the surrounding countryside), a selection of geothermal springs and spas, a celebrated nightlife and a wide selection of award-winning restaurants.
Naturally, there are also regular tours of surrounding natural wonders including mountains, volcanoes and wildlife. You can even take sailing trips in authentic viking ships!
To whet your appetite, here are some photos of the kind of stuff you can expect to see, all taken in Reykjavik and its surroundings:
- Choice of carrier, route and dates of travel are at the Sponsor’s discretion and must be arranged within 12 months of the competition end date. Flights (where applicable) are economy class and may not be direct. The Winner and travelling companion must travel at the same time and are responsible for their transport to and from place/s of residence to the departure airport and from the arrival airport to the hotel (and back).
- It is the responsibility of the Winner and travelling companion to provide their full names (as per photo ID) for the accommodation and flights. Once tickets are issued/reservations made, they are non-endorsable and non-transferable and any chargeable alterations to flight or accommodation details will be at the expense of the Winner and travelling companion.
- Individual supplier terms and, where applicable, airline conditions of carriage apply.
- The Winner and travelling companion may be required to produce a credit card upon hotel check-in, to cover incidentals.