While 2016 still didn't bring the long awaited Winds Of Winter to bookstores, there were still plenty of great books released. But were any of them on Amazon's bestseller list? Here's what Australians were reading in 2016.
Amazon's list includes the top 10 books downloaded on the site by readers in Australia and New Zealand -- so you're not allowed to blame the US for any of these choices. Without further ado, here they are:
- 1. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- 2. The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza
- 3. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
- 4. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
- 5. After You by Jojo Moyes
- 6. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- 7. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling
- 8. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriuarty
- 9. Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon
- 10. Night School: (Jack Reacher 21) by Lee Child
So, aspiring writers, if you want to be an Amazon bestselling author, take note: it looks like it's a really good idea to start your book title with 'The Girl', possibly inspired by Stieg Larsson's bestsellers themselves.
In the case of The Girl On The Train, it may have also been helped by its 2016 film adaptation, as also happened to Me Before You. The sequel, After You, also fared pretty well. Anyone else see a film sequel on the horizon? Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies also has a television adaptation on the horizon.
It also helps to be a Pulitzer winner, in the case of All The Light We Cannot See, or the 21st book in the Jack Reacher series, or in fact any book with the name "Harry Potter" or "J.K. Rowling" on it at all. Well, there you have it.
What do you think of Australia's favourite books in 2016? What were your personal favourites? Let us know in the comments!