I have a bit of a soft spot for desktops that actually look like desktops. Alec’s desktop fits the bill nicely, and actually looks like a desk surface, with items in the corners, while there’s still plenty of room to actually work, and a little customisation to make it personal.
If you want a similar look on your Mac, here are the components you’ll need:
- The My Desk Mock Up wallpaper by R.R.
- The Übersicht customisation and widget ending for OS X, which we’ve highlighted before
- The Sidebar widget for Übersicht
- The Morning clock widget for Übersicht
- The Inspirational Quote widget for Übersicht
- The Countdown widget for Übersicht
- The YouTube video widget for Übersicht, which actually plays this video on the iPad screen at the bottom of the screen, just obscured by the bottom of the screen
- The LiteIcon utility for Mac to change the system icons quickly
- The All White icon pack for OS X
- The cDock dock customisation tool
- The Bartender utility for Mac to customise the menubar
That’s a lot of moving parts, but this is a particularly deeply customised desktop. Even so, the pieces fit together nicely, and if you didn’t know from looking at it, you wouldn’t think that so many widgets went into it. If you have questions about any of it, or want to know how Alec managed to make one widget work just so, or how that works like it does, visit his Kinja blog (linked below) to ask your questions.
The Desktop Desktop [Alec]
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.