Gyms in Pokemon GO can be intimidating if you don’t know what you’re doing. These tips will turn you into a Pokemon trainer so good that other players will have to start giving you badges.
In this video from the Tech Insider YouTube channel, you’ll learn a few tricks for taking on and defending gyms that you may not know about yet. For starters, don’t think any gym is too tough to take over. Just because you see some Pokemon with high CPs in there doesn’t mean you can’t win with the right tactics. Here’s what you should do:
- Know which Pokemon are better at attacking: If you want to attack, use Pokemon like Snorlax, Dragonite, Lapras, Vaporeon (even after the patch), Arcanine and Exeggutor.
- Choose a gym with low foot traffic: Some gyms are constantly under attack and switching hands every five minutes. Go for less busy gyms that will let you attack and leave defenders in peace.
- Choose and organise your Pokemon before a battle: Set the attack order of your Pokemon from lowest CP to highest CP. You don’t want to burn out your strongest Pokemon right off the bat. Also, take into effect each of their types so each one of your Pokemon will be effective at some point in the battle.
- Attack with friends: Pokemon GO is made to be played with friends and other trainers you might find out and about. If a gym is too tough, try attacking it simultaneously with someone on the same team.
- Leave your best defender behind: The best defenders to place in an empty gym usually have the most health, so they can last longer against attackers. The best defenders are Lapras, Poliwrath, Dragonite, Snorlax, Exeggutor and Slowbro in that order.
- Keep your best defender out of the battle: When you clear out a gym, you have to stick a Pokemon in there quickly or someone else will. That’s why it’s best to keep your defender out of your battles and at full health. A defender has to have full health to get placed, and the time it takes to heal a Pokemon is just long enough for someone else to swoop in and steal your victory.
After you’ve secured the gym, you can hang out for a while and level up its prestige so other teammates can place their Pokemon in there as well. Now you’re ready to get out there and rep your team with pride.
Become ‘Pokémon GO’ gym master [YouTube]