Knowing the right way to clean your shoes helps them last longer and keeps them (and you) looking good, especially considering how expensive nice shoes can be. Here's the best way to clean leather, suede and textured sneakers. The material for each type of shoe is different, so the amount of cleaning solution and type of brush you use changes, but in general here is what you'll need:
- Standard brush with a synthetic bristle (ideal for leather sneakers and boost foam soles)
- Premium brush with softer bristles (ideal for knit or delicate fabric)
- Dry brush to clean dirt off before using water and solution
- Bowl of water to dip your brushes in
- Cleaning solution, diluted dish or laundry soap will do if you don't want to buy shoe cleaner solution (like this one from the host of the video, Jason Markks).
- Rag to stuff soft shoes to keep their shape
- Towels to press water out of the sneaker material after cleaning
Generally, you'll brush dust and dirt off the sneaker before cleaning it with water and solution. Take your time so that you don't damage the shoe material by using too much pressure. Check out the video above for specific cleaning techniques for each type of sneaker.
Jason Markk on How to Clean 4 Sneakers in 4 Minutes [HypeBeast (YouTube)]