By now, everyone knows that sitting all day is damaging your body, so it's important to move around and stay active. But how you sit between those breaks is just as important. Physiotherapist Joanne Gough has a quick video outlining the ideal sitting posture and how to set up your workspace accordingly. The video summarises the salient points of good posture whether you work at a desk, or if you're sitting with your laptop on a couch. It's ideal to get an ergonomic office chair, but you also need to use it right. For example, Gough says you need to ensure that you:
- Push your bottom as far back as possible.
- Adjust the seat height so that knees are slightly lower than your hips.
- Use a rolled-up towel or your chair's lumbar support in the curve of the small of your back.
- Place your keyboard so that your elbows bend at 90 degrees.
- Align the 'G' key with your belly button.
Check out the video for a quick four-minute guide on all the do's and don'ts so that you don't end up with chronic back pain in the future.
How to Protect Your Posture During Work [YouTube]