Backpacking is an inexpensive way to travel to multiple spots in one trip and stretch your travel budget. This price index of 56 European cities will help you figure out which stops fit your interests and your budget.
Price is only one factor to consider when planning your backpacking adventure, but it gives you a good idea of which cities will be more expensive for someone hiking or taking transit through town. Here’s the criteria Price of Travel used to evaluate each city:
- One night in the cheapest bunk at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews
- Two public transportation rides per day
- One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travellers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.)
- Three “budget” meals per day (We took our minimum meal price and added 20% to make it more realistic for a longer trip).
- Three cheap, local beers (or wine) each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead, so this is a general benchmark that should be proportional for each city.
Unsurprisingly, the top ten spots are dominated by Eastern European cities, but even if you don’t want to go to that part of Europe, you can still use this index to compare options in the regions you do want to visit.
56 European Cities by Price: Europe Backpacker Index for 2016 [Price of Travel]