Many countries in Asia are inexpensive to travel through, but if you’re on a tight budget, comparing even cheap options can get you more from your trip. This price index of 31 cities throughout Asia will help you decide which destinations are within your price range.
Of course, price is just one factor when planning a trip, but this index is a good place to start when comparing your options. Southeast Asia dominates the list since travel costs there are lower than other parts of Asia, so keep that in mind if you’re looking for a specific country or location. Even if you don’t want to go the specific cities on the list, it will give you an idea what various regions will cost to travel through. Here’s the criteria Price of Travel looked at:
- One night in the cheapest bunk at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews, or half the price of a double hotel room in places where there are no hostels
- Two public transportation rides per day
- One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travellers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.)
- Three “budget” meals per day (We took our minimum meal price and added 20% to make it more realistic for a longer trip.)
- Three cheap, local beers (or two large beers) each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead, so this is a general benchmark that should be proportional for each city.
This is the same criteria they used for their European backpacker index, so check that out if you want to see how the two popular backpacking locales compare.
31 Asian Cities by Price: Backpacker Index for 2016 [Price of Travel]