Current iOS Version: iOS 9
iOS 9 is jailbroken, with a tool available for Windows and OS X. The jailbreak is compatible with all devices that can run iOS 9 through 9.0.2, including the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. It is not compatible with iOS 9.1 at the moment.
Not sure if you should jailbreak?
We love jailbreaking our iDevices, but it’s not for everybody. If you’re not sure, you should read both our reasons why jailbreaking is awesome and reasons not to jailbreak — or check out other people’s reasons for both.
How to Jailbreak
Just follow these steps to jailbreak your iDevice, or watch the video above for a demonstration.
1. Back up your iOS device. Head to Settings > iCloud > Backup and select “Back Up Now”
2. Disable the passcode on your device. Head to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and disable the passcode if you’re using one
3. Enable Airplane Mode: swipe up on your screen to open Control Center and tap the airplane icon
4. Download Pangu here. This is your jailbreak tool. You’ll also need iTunes, so if you don’t have that, install it now.
5. Open the Pangu tool once it downloads.
6. Plug in your iOS device.
7. When your device is recognized by Pangu, select the “Start” option.
8. Click “Already Backup”.
9. After a while, you phone will reboot and Pangu will ask you to put your phone back into Airplane mode. Do that and the software will continue.
10. A little while later, Pangu will ask you to open the Pangu app on your iPhone’s home screen. Tap the app, and when prompted, give it access to your photos.
11. Your iPhone will reboot one more time. Once you reboot, disable Airplane mode, open up Cydia, and you’re good to go.
More: Jailbreaking Options for Older iOS Devices
Music by Chip for Breakfast.