Reader ravenclawwit stumbled on the NXT theme for Rainmeter, and put it to great use in this beautiful, functional desktop. That circle in the upper left? It’s actually a dock, packed with shortcuts. Here’s how it all works, and how to set it up.
Ravenclawwit is running Windows 10, if you couldn’t tell from the screenshot, so everything here works in even the most recent version of Windows. The best thing about that dock launcher in the upper left? Each shortcut pops out with icons you can choose from to get quick access to your most commonly used programs. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves — here’s what you’ll need to make this desktop yours:
- The wallpaper by TylerCreatesWorlds at DeviantArt
- The Rainmeter system tweaking and monitoring tool for Windows
- The NXT-OS suite for Rainmeter, which includes the circular dock in the upper left, the time and date display in the upper right, the clock and active audio visualizer in the center, and even a game drawer you can pull up from the bottom center. Ravenclawwit notes there are other features not immediately visible too, like a custom lock screen, a shortcut-based app launcher, a widget screen, and some more.
- The Circle Icon Pack to customise the icons in the launcher in the upper left, and the Metro UI Icon Set to customise the pop-out icons when you click on the launcher
- The Cascade X widget for Rainmeter for the weather and now-playing display, and the Spotify plugin for Rainmeter to pull songs from Spotify
- The Flat and Blurry skin for Rainmeter for the system monitors and hard drive indicators on the left side of the screen
That’s all there is to this one. All of the pieces fit really nicely together, and I really like the finished product. You can see what that pop-out launcher looks like in action in the screenshot below. If you like what you see, head over to ravenclawwit’s kinja blog (linked below) and share your thoughts.
The NXT Nebula Desktop [ravenclawwit]