Buying cheap can cost more in the long run, so it's often frugal to spend more on quality. With this idea in mind, Buy Me Once helps you find quality brands that last. The site's goal is to promote affordable, quality products that are also sustainable and socially conscious. A lot of the products come with lifetime warranties, because as the name suggests, the aim is to buy stuff once. Of course, these products are typically more expensive, but we often spend more on throwaway items that we regularly replace.
Here's how the site describes their mission:
OUR SHORT TERM MISSION IS TO:
- Make buying things that are built to last easy.
- Help you take care of the things you have with our tips and articles.
- Encourage people to buy just a few great things they love rather than huge amounts of clutter.
OUR LONG MISSION IS TO:
- Pair with an ethical credit company to provide customers with credit so they can make good choices.
- Challenge manufacturers to build products that last longer than the current products on the market...
Buy Me Once doesn't have an Australian site yet, but you can still browse the UK or US sites, and many of the products suggested are available in Australia. You can browse different categories on the site, from shoes to toys to furniture, and Buy Me Once pulls up a list of brands and products in that category. Beyond a shopping portal, it's also a blog that offers tips for taking care of your existing items. Overall, the site wants to "change our throwaway culture to a 'keep' or 'pass on' culture'," as founder Tara Button puts it.
Based on the site's terms and conditions, they earn money via affiliate links, which is fair enough. You don't buy anything directly from them, though. It's strictly a source of information to help you make smarter spending decisions. Check it out at the link below.