Windows 10's new Start Menu is pretty dang useful. That doesn't matter much, though, if it takes forever to load. If you're finding the menu a bit sluggish on your machine, you can turn off the open animation.
As Into Windows points out, while the new Start Menu animations are slick, they can bog down slower machines. Turning them off will help make the menu more responsive. To turn them off, follow these steps:
- Press Win+R to open the Run dialog.
- Type in sysdm.cpl and press enter.
- In the dialog that opens, click the Advanced tab.
- Under Performance click Settings.
- Disable the "Animate windows when minimising and maximizing" checkbox.
Now, when you open the Start Menu, it should appear instantly (though any Live Tiles you have will still animate like normal). It may only save you a second or two, but on slower machines, that speed may make the difference between a smooth experience and a frustrating one.
How To Make Windows 10 Start Menu Open Faster [Into Windows]