Adding contact info to your device's login or lock screen is a good way to help your lost stuff find its way back to you. Here's how to add a message with your info to Windows 10's login screen.
As tips blog Simple Help points out, these steps will work in Windows 7 and 8 as well. To add a message to your login screen, follow these steps:
- Search for "regedit" in your Start menu and launch it.
- In the left-side panel, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies > System.
- In the right-hand panel, double-click "legalnoticecaption".
- In the "Value data" box, enter a title for your notice (for example, "ATTENTION" or "IF LOST, PLEASE CONTACT). Click OK.
- Double-click "legalnoticetext".
- Enter a message containing your contact info, like your name, email address or phone number. If you're willing to provide a reward, mention that too. Click OK.
Once you're done, you'll need to restart your PC. Your notice will now be displayed every time the computer starts up, before you can login. It might be a minor annoyance, but if it helps someone return your lost laptop, it could very well be worth it.