When it comes to pursuing better health, a lot of people tend to miss the forest for the trees. Before you obsess over the finer details, first focus on getting the basics right. Use the "95/5 Rule" to center your energies on mastering these commonsensical fundamentals of good health.
Image by trivedi.healers.
The "95/5 Rule" (the word "rule" is used very loosely here) is coined by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff of University of Ottawa and Weighty Matters. Instead of worrying about the minutiae of optimal living, he posits that you should redirect your enthusiasm toward a handful of unsexy truths that he believes to have far greater impact on enriching your life.
Dr. Freedhoff recommends focusing 95% of your healthy living energies on:
- Cooking your meals from scratch and eating with friends and family
- Exercising (doesn't have to be every day)
- Not smoking
- Getting a good night's sleep
- Indulging in moderation
- Drinking alcohol in moderation
- Nurturing your friendships and relationships
Basically, we can all exhale with a resounding No freakin' duh! that the above seven things purvey 95% of the benefits to your life, happiness and health more so than any miscellaneous minute health mumbo jumbo, which actually make up the remaining 5%.
...when compared with the impact of the 95%, that 5% might increase a person's quantity of life by a few days or weeks, while agonizing over that 5% would definitely suck away a whole pile of quality.
Head over to the link below to find a few concrete examples that address the bullet points above.
Use 95:5 Rule to Forever Ignore All Further Healthy Living Advice [Weighty Matters]