The fourth season of HBO's fantasy TV series Game Of Thrones finally arrives on DVD and Blu-ray this week. We take a look at the different versions that are available, the special features on each disc and the cheapest places to pick it up locally.
Season four of Game Of Thrones was arguably the finest thus far: the show's trademark shock deaths and abrupt reversals of fortune came thicker and faster than ever before; culminating in Tyrion's trial by combat and the Battle for Castle Black. You can read our 25 favourite moments from the season here. (Needless to say, beware of spoilers!)
Nearly a year after its televisual debut, the fourth season of Game Of Thrones finally arrives on Blu-ray and DVD this Wednesday (18 February). Previously, Season 4 could be purchased digitally or watched on Foxtel but this will be your first chance to pick it up on physical media.
To keep you informed and help you save money, we've gone to the trouble of finding out what's included on each version as well as the best available prices locally. We've limited our search to brick-and-mortar stores to remove shipping prices from the equation. Doubtlessly you can find it even cheaper online, although the usual caveats about lengthy shipping delays and incompatible DVD regions apply.
There are three main versions of Season 4; all of which can be purchased on either DVD or Blu-ray. In addition to the vanilla release, there's also a "limited edition" which contains additional bonus material and a box set that includes seasons one through four.
Game Of Thrones Season 4 (RRP: $59.95/$69.95)
It comes with the following special features:
- Behind the Battle for the Wall:: Follow the cast and crew as they create the most ambitious battle to date. This 30-minute documentary explores the challenges of putting together one of the series’ most intense episodes, with never-before-seen material.
- The Fallen - A Roundtable: Writer Bryan Cogman sits down with a few of the many cast members who meet their demise in Season 4. From first learning of their deaths to shooting their final scenes, this 30-minute feature will shed light on what it’s like to live—and die—in the Game of Thrones world.
- The Politics of Power: A Look Back at Season 3 – Revisit the brutal events of Season 3 to see power shifts that define Westeros at the start of Season 4.
- Bastards of Westeros: Hear showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss and author George R.R. Martin discuss the role bastards play in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Deleted/Extended Scenes: Two deleted scenes.
- In-Episode Guide: In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories. (Blu-ray only)
- Histories & Lore: Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves. (Blu-ray only)
- Audio Commentaries: Commentaries with cast and crew including showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Pedro Pascal, Aiden Gillen and more! (Blu-ray only)
Game Of Thrones Season 4 Limited Edition
The limited edition comes with the same special features as above, plus the following bonus material:
- Silk, Leather & Chain Mail: The Costumes of Season 4
- Planning a Royal Wedding: Behind the scenes at Joffrey's nuptials.
- Shock and Awe: Creating the Visual Effects of Season 4
- A Joffrey Baratheon POP vinyl figurine (Blu-ray only)
Game Of Thrones - Season 1-4
In the unlikely event that you don't own any previous seasons of Game Of Thrones, the 1-4 box set is the most cost-effective way to get the whole show thus far. It boasts 20 discs and includes all the special features from each season's standalone release.
The cheapest price we could find locally was JB Hi-Fi (again), which is selling the DVD and Blu-ray versions for $115 and $125, respectively. If you've been watching the show illegally all these years, consider this your one-stop shop for absolution. You filthy pirate.
There are also two exclusive versions available in Australia that can only be purchased from select outlets. These are the aforementioned Limited Blu-ray Edition with Joffrey Baratheon POP vinyl figure and the Martell Special Edition, which includes a mini artbook of Game Of Thrones deaths. It's available exclusively from Sanity music stores, which apparently are still a thing.
Seen Game Of Thrones Season 4 for less money elsewhere? Share a link in the comments section below!