XBMC, one of our favourite media center suites, has officially been renamed Kodi with the release of version 14 (codenamed "Helix"). The new version contains a lot of long-awaited bug fixes and speed improvements, as well as a few small feature improvements for add-ons and keyboards.
This version isn't a huge overhaul of the program, but it does contain a number of welcome fixes, including:
- Fixes for the AirPlay issues that have existed since iOS 7 (finally!)
- Compatibility with more codecs such as h.265 and VP9
- Speed improvements in library scanning
- UPnP compatibility improvements with servers like PlayOn and MediaBrowser
- Improvements in audio playback on all operating systems
- Improvements to DXVA plalyback on Windows
- Hardware playback improvements on the Android version (shown above)
This version also adds different software keyboard layouts, and the ability to prevent certain add-ons from updating automatically. Check out the full blog post below for more info on the new update.
Kodi 14.0 Helix Unwinds [Kodi Blog]