2 in 1 laptops that flip into tablet mode aren’t just a novelty — they offer a flexibility that standalone devices can’t match. Here are 10 useful things you can do with a 2 in 1.
What Is A 2 In 1, Anyway?
The easiest way to understand what a 2 in 1 is, is to think of a laptop — a full-power laptop, with a keyboard and Microsoft Windows and all the versatility you should expect — and then add the ability for it to transform into a touchscreen tablet. 2 in 1s let you move between laptop or tablet whenever you need, so you don’t have to stay tied to a desk when you want to travel, but you can still get as much work, email or Web browsing done as you want to.
Various 2 in 1s transform between laptop and tablet mode in different ways. In general, though, you can split 2 in 1s into a few key categories. You can find those that function like a laptop normally, but have a 360-degree hinge that lets the screen flip around to become a tablet. You can find laptops with a detachable keyboard (turning the screen into a tablet), some of which have an extra internal battery to boost power. You can also find sliders: 2 in 1s that have a keyboard hidden away inside their chassis. And, of course, there are designs that take an entirely unique approach to converting.
For a full overview of 2 in 1 models currently available in Australia, check out Gizmodo’s comprehensive roundup.
10 Reasons To Choose A 2 in 1
1. Transform from type to touch
2. Travel with fewer chargers and less junk
3. Choose the computing platform that’s right for you
4. Lose the keyboard for space efficiency
5. Use a stylus for easy note-taking
6. Score a cheap copy of Microsoft Office
7. Be the ultimate e-reader with a keyboard
8. Maximise battery performance in a way that suits you
9. Work in a variety of angles and formats
10. Enjoy every style of gaming on offer
Star CitizenCrossy Road
Have your own reason to favour a 2 in 1? Share it in the comments.
Laptop picture from Shutterstock