Reader Amitabh put together this good-looking Linux desktop with a few simple add-ons for his system, and the end result offers just a few useful widgets and plenty of room to work, not to mention a personalised experience. Here’s how he set it up.
- The wallpaper;
- Conky, a lightweight system monitor for Linux systems;
- The Harmattan Conky theme for the translucent system monitor on the right;
- The HUD theme for Conky for the monitors on the left-side of the screen;
- The Numix GTK theme to tweak the look and feel of the interface;
- The Numix Circle Icon set to replace the system icons;
- The Plank application launcher at the bottom of the screen.
That’s all there is to it. Amitabh put this together on his Ubuntu desktop, but there’s nothing here that’s specific to Ubuntu — you could recreate this on just about any Linux desktop, whatever your favourite distribution may be.
Road to Redemption [Amitabh Banerjii]