Mac: Sometimes widgets and toolbars are where it's at, and other times simplicity is more conducive to getting things done. Reader Josh submitted this desktop and we love it. Simple, open, but still personal. Here's how he set it up.
Here's what you'll need to recreate this one for yourself:
- The Martini Rossi Livery wallpaper at SimpleDesktops by Jon Wojan
- The GeekTool system monitor and configuration utility for OS X to create the clock and Now Playing widgets on the right side of the desktop
- The Spotify Now Playing geeklet to create the now playing display
- Alfred, our favourite app launcher for the Mac for the application launcher in the center of the screen (it only displays when you press Cmd+Space, otherwise it's not visible)
- The Yosemite theme for Alfred to create the all-white, flat look
We knew Alfred was customisable, and we knew it was really powerful, and here it's used as an attractive part of the desktop that brings everything together and keeps it all neatly organised. We imagine the OS X dock is probably set to auto-hide unless it's moused-over here as well.
Simple Martini Desktop [Josh]