Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers, including: Apple and Samsung call it quits on legal battle in Australia, everything you need to know about Australia’s data retention plan, top 10 movie fight scenes.
- For those who missed yesterday’s announcement, Australia will be getting a raft of new legislation to help spy and law enforcement agencies combat home-grown and international terrorism threats. Here’s everything you need to know about the government’s new data retention plan laws.
- Scientists from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute recorded astounding video of great white sharks fiercely attacking their SharkCam, an autonomous underwater vehicle with several cameras inside pointing at different directions. Here is the footage.
- Over the past few years, Apple and Samsung have been warring in courts all over the world in a tit-for-tat battle about patent infringement in different products. Today, the tech giants agreed to put aside their differences in every jurisdiction around the world, except for the US. Read the full story here.
- The Google Play store has slashed the price of a handful of Android apps as part of the prematurely named “End Of August” sale. Discounted apps include Planets Pack, SwiftKey, textPlus and Sports Dream Team. Click here to see the full range. For more online bargains, head to our Hump Day Deals page.
- Behold: the top 10 movie fight scenes of all time. (Curiously, this stone-cold classic was omitted.)