Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers, including: George R. R. Martin admits “R+L=J” theory, Kotaku’s 20 best video games of all time, how to crush your friends at Monopoly.
- War. What is it good for? Well, it does give us awesome looking warships. Here are 18 high-tech vessels that currently rule the ocean.
- Gizmodo charts the rise and fall of the fireman’s pole. (Not to be confused with the stripper’s pole, which is still going strong.)
- Craving banana bread? Bake these paleo muffins instead.
- Business Insider has published an in-depth Monopoly guide that explains how to use maths to crush opponents. Click here to get your mogul on.
- The squat is one of the cornerstones of basic exercise, but doing it wrong can make it harder to see the results you’re looking for — not to mention lead to back or knee injuries. POPSUGAR Health & Fitness explains how to pull off the move correctly.
- If you’re a die-hard Game Of Thrones fan, you’re doubtlessly familiar with the “R+L=J” theory. Turns out the fans were right all along.
- Tonight, ABC’s Good Game is counting down the 100 greatest video games of all time, as voted by viewers. Kotaku editor Mark Serrels also got in on the action with his own Top 20. Check them out.
- According to author Katia Hetter, children should never be forced to hug their relatives. Click here to see if you agree with her sentiment.