Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers, including: Tony Abbott confirms Australian data retention scheme to "fight terrorism", new content for The Sims FreePlay, Doctor Who simulcast confirmed.
- The Sims FreePlay has added a fresh update that's all about fine dining. New content includes lobster dinner, head chefs, first class table service and a grand Piano. Click here and here for the iOS and Android versions, respectively.
- What does your smartphone reveal about about you and how does it relate to metadata? Gizmodo investigates.
- The ABC has confirmed that the first episode of this season's Doctor Who will be simulcast in Australia at the same time as the UK. Hurrah! The movie-length first episode will screen in the early hours (time TBC) of Sunday morning 24 August. The episode will also be made available on ABC iview directly afterward, followed by the official ABC broadcast at 7.40pm. [Via Fat Duck Tech]
- The Tony government this afternoon announced that Australia will be getting a raft of new legislation to help spy and law enforcement agencies combat home-grown and international terrorism threats. This includes a new law that will compel telcos and ISPs to store metadata on users. Click here for the full story.
- Dick Smith is offering $10 vouchers with any purchase over $50 when customers use the discount code 'DS29520'. The voucher to use any time before 13 August 2014. [Via OzBargain]