Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher were married for almost 87 years, so it's safe to say they know a thing or two about marriage. The Fisher's participated in a Q&A on Twitter and shared some advice on love and commitment.
Photo by Leland Francisco
Some of their answers are great tips and carry a lot of weight when you consider how long they had been together:
- We grew up together and were best friends before we married. A friend is for life; our marriage has lasted a lifetime.
- Remember marriage is not a contest, never keep a score. God has put the two of you together on the same team to win.
- Agree that it's OK to disagree, and fight for what really matters. Learn to bend — not break!
- There's no secret to our marriage, we just did what was needed for each other and our family.
- Respect, support, and communicate with each other. Be faithful, honest, and true. Love each other with ALL of your heart.
Herbert passed away in 2011 at the age of 105 and Zelmyra followed in 2013 also at the age of 105, but the Fishers leave behind a strong example of lasting love and marital commitment for all of us.