Facebook recently introduced auto-playing video ads on desktop and mobile. Thankfully, there’s now a way to opt out of them. Here’s what you have to do.
On the Desktop
For Facebook on the desktop, you can turn off auto-play videos in your settings:
- On Facebook, head to the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner and go to Settings > Videos. You can also click here to go straight there.
- Next to the Auto-Play Videos setting, click the “On” box and change it to “Off”.
Unfortunately, there is no way to completely disable Facebook’s video ads on mobile. However, you can disable them when you’re not on Wi-Fi:
- Open Facebook, open the left sidebar, and tap “App Settings”.
- Check the “Auto-Play Videos on Wi-Fi Only” box.
Similar to Android, there is no way to disable the ads completely, but you can disable them when you’re not on Wi-Fi.
- Go to the iOS Settings app from the home screen, and open up Facebook’s settings.
- Tap the Settings option and under “Video”, switch the “Auto-Play on Wi-Fi Only” option on.