There are some common foods that can be dangerous to your pets. Most pet owners know not to feed chocolate to dogs, but did you know about these other foods?
Picture: T. Fernandes/Flickr
The ever-resourceful blog Real Simple put together this list of foods that can be dangerous to your pets.
- Chocolate. Primarily for dogs, for dangerous for all species to a lesser degree. Chocolate overstimulates the nervous system and heart.
- Grapes and Raisins. Can cause damage to the kidneys.
- Garlic and Onions. Can damage red blood cells.
- Xylitol. Found in sugarless gum and lollies, it can cause increased insulin secretion.
- Alcohol. Depresses the nervous system.
- Raw Yeast and Bread Dough. Forms gas in the digestive tract and fermentation of yeast can cause alcohol poisoning.
- Macadamia nuts. Cause muscle and nervous system problems.
- Avocados. Contain persin, which damages heart muscle.
8 Things Your Pet Shouldn't Eat [Real Simple]