If you’ve never had a urinary tract infection, you are one lucky lady (or guy — yes, guys can get them too). If you have, you know the sheer, burning, want-to-cry agony that comes with them. But with a few tricks, you can kick UTIs for good.
Image via hinnamsaisuy
You’ve probably heard this tip before, but it’s worth repeating: always empty your bladder after having sex. This will prevent UTI-causing bacteria from travelling up the urethra. (Fun fact: UTIs are much more common for women because our urethras are way shorter than men’s.)
Other ways to prevent UTIs:
- Always wipe from front to back. Again, this prevents bad bacteria from going where it shouldn’t.
- Stay hydrated and go to the bathroom frequently. Don’t hold it if you have to go!
- Be wary of diaphragms and spermicide-coated condoms, which have been shown to aggravate UTIs.
- Don’t use douches or feminine sprays, and be cautious about using any scented products on your nether regions. They can throw off the balance of good bacteria, making it easier for you to get an infection.
- Try cranberry pills or juice (make sure it’s actual juice, not “juice drink”) and/or probiotics. They’ve been shown to help prevent recurring infections.
Do you have other tricks for avoiding UTIs? Share them below.
Post your Female Life Hacks [Reddit]