Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: Get two-for-one movie tickets with any Kogan product, Sony backflips on PS4 media server functionality, the amazing Kinect tech demo that could change the future of technology.
- For the rest of the year, Kogan will be offering two-for-one movie tickets when customers buy any product via PayPal (including cheap items like $10 HDMI cables). Participating cinemas include Event Cinemas, Greater Union and Village Cinemas. There is a limit of one free ticket per day and you need to pay an “admin fee” of $2.50. You can check out the rest of the terms and conditions here.
- Could the PlayStation 4 make a decent media server after all? Sony recently caught a lot of flak after announcing it would be stripping a lot of the media server functionality from its new console; presumably in a bid to make customers use Music Unlimited and the like. Well, if PlayStation Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida can be believed, these features are still in the pipeline — they just wont be appearing at launch. “As we speak the teams in Japan and U.S., the system guys are discussing how and when we can put these features on PS4″. Hmm.
- We’ve given the Kinect grief in the past for being too glitchy — but when it comes to non-gaming endeavors, it truly is a technological marvel. inFORM is an MIT display concept that utilises the Kinect to render 3D content physically, effectively turning virtual objects into the real McCoy. Using physical voxels, inFORM is able to recreate any shape, allowing users to interact with digital information in a tangible way. The possibilities of this tech are truly mind-boggling. Click here to see a video of it in action.
- There are many candidates for scariest video game of all time — you can find a stack of nominations here. The Forest is a new first-person survival horror game that is looking to tear the status quo asunder. Watch the trailer and whimper.
- Katniss Everdeen, the heroine from The Hunger Games is pretty handy with a bow and arrow. This amusing movie mash-up features Katniss inserted into various scenes of arrow-related mayhem (we’d always wondered who the archer was at the Red Wedding!)
- “Superfoods” have been lauded for their disease-fighting properties and ability to stave off ageing (it says here). Most people have heard of acai and kale before, but what about farro, maca and umeboshi? Popsugar Health & Fitness has the skinny on seven unusual superfoods that you probably didn’t know about.
- Also from Popsugar, here are a handful of dieting tips from the Victoria’s Secret Angel models (it’s a gallery, natch.)