Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: Get Halo 3 for free on Xbox Live, Game Of Thrones gets the Bad Lip Reading treatment, the best smartphone apps for Windows, Android and iOS.
- If you're one of the four Xbox 360 owners who hasn't played Halo 3 yet, Microsoft is currently offering the game free to Xbox Live Gold members. The game is starting to look a bit creaky post-Halo Reach, but it remains a classic FPS that every gamer should play.
- Have you ever wondered what a teen comedy like Adventureland would be like if it starred the cast of Game of Thrones? Us neither, but this fake movie trailer is pretty funny nonetheless.
- Gizmodo has put together a list of the most popular paid and free apps for iPhone, Windows Phone or Android, along with some trendy alternatives. Click here to see their picks.
- K-Mart is currently selling the Casio Scientific FX82AU Plus calculator for just $3.50. Back when I was in school these things cost in the region of $35. If you've got a kid who is about to start high school, snap one up while they're cheap.
- Ever since the Nintendo Wii took the world by storm, motion-controlled games have been everywhere. The Xbox One will come with a compulsory Kinect motion sensor while the PlayStation 4 will also be pushing the latest version of the PS Eye gizmo. In this exhaustive expose, Kotaku looks at the history of motion controlling in gaming — along with everything that's wrong with it.