Firefox: Extensions are a great way to augment your browser experience. They're also a great way to balloon your RAM usage if you're not careful. Here's how to find out which one is grinding your system to a halt.
As of version 24, Firefox has the ability to see exactly how much memory each extension is taking up without installing yet more add-ons to analyse their usage:
- Navigate to about:support.
- Copy the ID of an extension you want to check.
- Navigate to about:memory.
- Click "Measure" under "Show memory reports".
- Press Ctrl-F and paste the extension ID.
This should show you exactly how much memory a particular extension is using up. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world, but if you're having a problem with a particular extension and aren't sure which, it's a simple way to find out.