Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: Malcolm Turnbull lashes out at NBN petitioners, 30 snacks with 150 calories or less, the two faces of Nikola Tesla.
- Telstra’s pre-orders for the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s have gone live, and as a result, so has the carrier’s pricing. The new iPhone 5c comes on Telstra’s Every Day Connect Plans, starting from a minimum of $71 per month on a 24 month plan. The iPhone 5s comes on the same plan with prices starting at a minimum of $78 for the 16GB model.
- Female cosplayers often get a rough trot at gaming conventions, with attendees accusing them of being fake fans who are just looking for attention. Actress Jennifer Landa decided to turn the tables by doing the same thing to male cosplayers. Watch their reactions as she calls them out on their geek cred -- well, it made us giggle anyway.
- There is currently an online petition doing the rounds on Change.org asking that the Liberal party retain Labor's NBN policy. At last count, the petition had well over 200,000 signatures. Unsurprisingly, Minister for Communications and Broadband Malcolm Turnbull has taken a very dim view of the petition. "Many of the FTTP supporters on twitter and elsewhere say that they don’t care what it costs or how long it takes – they want fibre to the home regardless. That point of view is reckless in the extreme... The Coalition’s NBN Policy [was] published in April – five months ahead of the election. The Coalition won the election." You can read Turnbull's full statement here.
- Nikola Tesla is a beloved icon of modern geekdom, with recent stints in movies and video games helping to cement his God-like status. But how does the real Tesla compare to the one that we've culturally created? This interesting video pitches the man against the myth.
- There's so much more to snacking than cheese and crackers. PopSugar Health & Fitness has published 30 different hunger-curbing, waistline-friendly snacks — all of which contain 150 calories or less. Bookmark the recipes to create a new delicious treat every day of the month.
- Have you ever wondered what the original Star War would have been like if Darth Vader had been played by Arnold Schwarzenegger? Wonder no longer.