Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers, including: Tour de France gets interactive Google Maps and Street View tours, Steggles accused of keeping “free to roam” chickens in cramped sheds, keep winter at bay with this spiced carrot soup recipe.
- AVG Technologies has launched AVG Uninstaller for Android smartphones and tablets. The free security tool automatically monitors Android apps their size, frequency of use, battery consumption and mobile data usage and decides which applications users might want to uninstall. You can find out more information and download the app at the Google Play Store.
- Google has announced it will be utilising Google Maps and Street View during the 100th Tour de France to create “a new interactive experience that lets you feel what it’s like to pedal alongside the greats”. You can find out more at the official Google blog.
- In other Tour de France news, this animated video gives a rundown of the event’s colourful history and helps to explain why it’s one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world.
- Australia’s Federal Court has found that Steggles chickens which were advertised as “free to roam” are actually kept in cramped sheds. In its judgement, the Federal Court stated that at times in their growth cycle the chickens “could not move more than a metre or so (at most) without having their further movement obstructed by a barrier of clustered birds”. Read the full ACCC report here.
- Is it just us, or has it been getting bloody cold lately? If you’ve been feeling the winder chill too, this awesome spiced carrot soup recipe from PopSugar Health & Fitness should warm you up nicely.