When life gets hectic or crazy (and we’ve all been there), take some of the stress off by finding comfort in the mundane. Even routine chores, such as shining your kitchen sink, can help.
Picture: Nomadic Lass/Flickr
“When life gets messy, shine your sink” comes from a blog post by Courtney Carver on Be More With Less. It reminds us that no matter how scrambled you might feel, you can still do just one small thing to centre yourself.
- If you get lost, do the laundry. You know how to do that. You don’t need input or direction. Just do it.
- If you feel scattered, wash the dishes. Turn off your dishwasher and wash each dish as if it’s the most important thing you have to do.
- If your mind is racing, hang out by the spin cycle. Let the background noise quiet your mind.
- If you are anxious, sweep the floor. Sweep up your worry along with the dust (and dog hair in my case).
- When things get messy, shine your sink. If your to-do list is out of control or your mind is full of idea and you don’t know where to start, clean your sink.
The link to the FlyLady’s instructions for shining your sink is very appropriate, since the foundation of the FlyLady’s philosophy of chaos-busting is baby steps, starting with a shiny sink.
Simplify Your Life and Quiet Your Mind on The Spin Cycle [Be More With Less]