We’ve featured Dan Carr’s desktops before. They’re always beautiful and functional, and this one is no different. The photo of a quiet, cloudy winter morning in Paris makes for a great backdrop for his widgets, all arranged so they don’t detract from the image, but don’t distract when it’s time to work.
You can’t see it in the image above, but Dan’s task bar and social buttons are hidden from view so they’re not a distraction when he wants to work. You can see them unhidden over at Flickr. It’s not difficult to make this desktop your own — or at least grab the wallpaper and add it to your personal rotation. Here’s what you’ll need.
- The wallpaper from Wallbase
- The XWidget customisation platform for Windows
- The CPU and RAM charts from the XWidget gallery
- The Minty Search Bar for quick access to Google search in the top right corner of the desktop
- The Typewriter widget for the time and weather (modified so it fits in with the theme, you can grab Dan’s tweaked version here)
- The Blue RSS widget for RSS feeds across the bottom (modified so it fits in with the theme, you can grab Dan’s tweaked version here)
- The RocketDock application launcher on the left side of the screen (hidden above), used for quick buttons for Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr
- The Helvetica Light Condensed font for all visual elements
You can read more about Dan’s inspiration for the desktop (and check out the video that inspired him) over at his blog.
Quiet & Still [Kiss Kiss Bang! Bang!]