Telstra has released a new 4G mobile broadband device that combines a 4G USB dongle with a 4G Wi-Fi hotspot which it is billing as the first of its kind in Australia. The device can be purchased on a pre-paid plan for $119.
As its name implies, the Telstra 4G USB + Wi-Fi allows customers to access high-speed mobile broadband either via a USB connection or a Wi-Fi hotspot (when used in 4G supported areas). The device can be plugged into a laptop and used as a conventional USB modem or act as a Wi-Fi hot spot for up to five Wi-Fi devices.
It also comes with its own AC adapter which is handy if you want to power multiple devices without leeching your phone's battery.
“This product is a great solution for people who work out of the office and have multiple devices that need internet access such as phones, tablets and laptops," said Telstra Mobile executive Graeme McLindin. “The launch of this device on pre-paid also allows customers flexibility in meeting their data needs."
- The 4G USB + Wi-Fi device's key features are as follows:
- Connect up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously including a compatible smartphone, tablet or laptop
- Create an instant hotspot with the included AC adaptor or compatible USB power source
- Can provide mobile broadband via USB to a compatible host PC or Mac, while also providing mobile broadband to multiple users via Wi-Fi
- Compact and lightweight design, with rotating USB
- Compatible with PC (x32/x64 Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3) and Mac (Mac 10.8.x, 10.7.x) and works with Wi-Fi enabled devices
- CAT4 technology
- LTE 1800/2600/900 MHz
The Telstra 4G USB + Wi-Fi will retail for $119, which includes 5GB of data for use in Australia over 30 days. Head to Telstra's website for more information.