iOS (Jailbroken): Velox is a new tweak for jailbroken iPhone’s that completely changes how you view notifications and apps. It’s one of those rare apps that overhauls iOS in a way that truly changes the way you use your iPhone. The app itself is great, but you can also enhance it with a handful of useful add-ons.
What Is Velox?
Velox also adds functionality into a few of the native iOS apps and with a swipe of the icon you can invoke all kinds of cool features without ever leaving the home screen. The full list is pretty big, but here are a few of our favourites that come packed in with the app:
- Camera: You can swipe the camera icon (or Camera+ icon) to quickly bring up your camera for those times when you need a quick shot.
- Settings: You get instant access to toggles for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and flight mode.
- Music (works with any app that plays music, including Spotify or Pandora): You can skip tracks, pause and scrub through songs.
- Weather: With a swipe you’ll get an instant look at the weather for the week.
- Calendar: Shows you everything in your calendar for the upcoming week.
- Mail: You’ll see all your unread mail, and you can swipe to dismiss or even send a quick reply right from the home screen.
Out of the box you already get some great functionality, but the really interesting part about Velox is that the developer also allows for add-ons. This means people can write their own extensions that add specific Velox functionality to apps Velox doesn’t support. Here are a few of our favourites.
Addial adds a simple function to the Contacts app where you can instantly pull up a menu to add a new contact, dial a number, or call a contact. It’s especially helpful when you just want to quickly add someone to your phone or get to the dialer without futzing about in menus.
Instead of opening up the App Store and then tapping over to the search menu, AppLook for Velox allows you to instantly search right from the home screen. Just swipe down, type your search query, and you’re all set. It seems simple, but it’s actually surprisingly helpful to quickly get to the app you want.
As you’d expect, Calculator for Velox pulls up the calculator so you can instantly perform calculations on the fly. It’s a little quirky in its design and doesn’t always work perfectly, but it’s helpful when you just need to quickly make a calculation and don’t feel like opening the full app.
Velox was just released last week, so more add-ons are the way. If your favourite app doesn’t have an add-on yet, chances are it will soon.