The Steam beta client today gains the ability to limit download speeds. This makes it easier for users on slow connections to manage their bandwidth.
In order to use the new feature, you’ll need to be part of the Steam Beta. To enter the beta, follow these steps:
- Under Settings in Steam, click the Account tab.
- Click “Change” below “Beta participation”.
- Select “Steam Beta Update” to enter the program.
- Restart Steam.
Once that’s done, here’s how to limit your download speed:
- Under Settings, click the Downloads tab.
- Click the drop down box below “Limit downloads to the following bandwidth”.
- Select your preferred maximum download speed.
That’s it! From that point on, your cumulative download speed should not exceed your selected proportion of bandwidth.