Android has always been a great platform for emulating the classics, but multiple emulators were required to get the job done. Now you can download RetroArch and emulate nearly every classic console in a single app.
RetroArch emulates many systems. Here's the full list:
- PlayStation 1 (emulator: PCSX ReARMed)
- Super Nintendo (emulator: SNES9x Next)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (emulator: FCEUmm / NEStopia)
- GameBoy / GameBoy colour (emulator: Gambatte)
- GameBoy Advance (emulator: VBA Next)
- Arcade (emulator: Final Burn Alpha)
- Neo Geo Pocket colour (emulator: Mednafen NGP)
- Virtual Boy (emulator: Mednafen VB)
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega CD / Mega CD (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- PC Engine / PC Engine CD (emulator: Mednafen PCE Fast)
- WonderSwan colour / Crystal (emulator: Mednafen Wonderswan)
- Cave Story (game engine: NX Engine)
- Doom 1 / Doom 2 / Ultimate Doom / Final Doom (game engine: prBoom)
Like most emulators, RetroArch features on-screen controls for touch-based play. It also includes support for several USB and Bluetooth gamepads (like the iCade). RetroArch uses your GPU for maximum performance, you can customise the touchscreen overlays, the emulation cores are expandable (you can even add your own), and it's completely free (no cost, no ads).
If you've wanted to turn your Android smartphone or tablet into a retro gaming device, this is the emulator to get.
RetroArch (free) [Google Play]