Easily Add An Auxiliary Port To An Old Car Stereo

If you have one of those stereos that was released in that awkward time between CDs and MP3 players, then it might be missing the now-standard auxiliary port for easy playback. Redditor Esplodies cleverly hacked together an auxiliary port to get out of this exact situation.

This trick only works on CD players that don't have an aux port, but it's surprisingly easy to do. Esplodies used a CD-ROM audio cable and a resistor to plug into the rear port of the CD player. Then, it was wired up to an auxiliary port and drilled a small hole in the front of the stereo.

It will only work on a few different models of stereos, but if yours doesn't fit the bill, you can do it with a little soldering or go all out and add Bluetooth instead. Head over to Reddit for the full picture guide.

Saved myself $US92.50 on an Aux port with a little DIY know how [Reddit via Wonder How-To]


Comments

    Cool hack, but why not replace the head unit completely if you are going to the effort of taking the old one out? You can get a new one with aux, MP3 disc playing and USB for less than $100 these days. Add a bit more for bluetooth, ipod integration etc

    hmm, this is alright but i just brought a FM Radio transmitter, just set it to an unused radio Channel, plug in phone or MP3 player and off i go, also if im traveling with a friend you can use it in there car aswell

      FM radio transmitters are the worst! I've never had a good experience!

    Be warned that some head units don't like this trick one bit and will eventually do weird things.

    I tried such a trick on the stock head unit in my Subaru Outback '99, after about 2 weeks it went in to TEL (Telephone input mode) and would not do anything, I pulled it apart to check my wiring, checked all the copper tracks, capacitors, resistors but found nothing. Only way to solve the problem was to buy a new head unit, I shouldn't have tried to be such a cheapskate in the first place :(

    I've done this on several cars (2005 corolla, 2002 astra) and it worked fine. Sometimes if you're going in after the pre-amp (which is generally easier to solder), then the output impedence becomes a problem. The solution is to not use shit hardware (anything Apple for eg) and to use something like a Sansa Clip (+/zip).

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now