Lifehacker reader tmfk has created this alien-looking landscape and surrounding heads-up display. It looks so good we couldn't help but feature it on its own.
The beautiful wallpaper here is complemented by the arc-like HUD elements around the corners of the desktop. They provide useful information, like weather and system status, without cluttering up the centre of the screen. Here's how you can give your Windows desktop the same look:
- The Heart of the Universe wallpaper from DeviantArt
- The Rainmeter system configuration and management utility for Windows
- The Rota H.U.D. skin for Rainmeter for the Lifehacker feed (thanks!), weather data on the left, and system status and clock on the right.
- The Googlebar skin for Rainmeter for a search bar, tweaked to search DeviantArt
- The Placebo visual style for Windows 7 to replace the window layouts and the taskbar
- The Token icon set to replace the system icons
With those components installed, you can get the same look. Best of all, if you like the HUD but not the taskbar, you don't have to install them all — pick and choose the elements you like. If you have trouble wrangling Rainmeter, check out our guide.