Even though Google is no longer officially offering free Google Apps for Business accounts, there is still a way to sign up for Google Apps and get it linked to your own domain. Just sign up for Google App Engine and add your domain to that account. You'll get Google Apps along with it for free.
Here's how to do this:
- Head over to Google App Engine and sign in with your Google Account
- Click "Create Application" with any date and purpose information you choose.
- Open the Dashboard, then click Application Settings.
- In Application Settings, scroll down and select "Add Domain" to add your personal domain to App Engine.
- Google should present you with a link to sign up for Google Apps here, and the option to connect it with your domain.
Check the video above for a walkthrough here, thanks to Amit Agarwal of Digital Inspiration. We've covered some alternatives if you want to give up on Google, but let's be honest: it's difficult to find another web service with the same features and value as Google Apps. Give this workaround a try instead, and you'll get all of the benefits of Google Apps with the convenience of using your own domain for free.
How to Sign-up for Google Apps for Free — Video Tutorial [Digital Inspiration]