iPad: The iPad keyboard is pretty good, but far from perfect. Tyype is a simple text editor that adds a number of features to the keyboard, as well as a bunch of multitouch gestures to text manipulation.
Unfortunately, Tyype can't integrate with other apps on the iPad, but it can provide you a great place to type out longer email messages or other documents and paste them elsewhere. Apart from providing cut, copy, paste, undo, and redo functions right from the top of the keyboard, it also gives you a word count and some great multitouch gestures, including:
- One finger pan to move the cursor between characters
- Two finger pan to high light text
- Three finger pan to move the cursor at super speed
- Pinch to scale the font size
- Two finger double tap to select all, perfect for copying your text and pasting it into your app of choice
The two and three finger gestures can be a bit tricky at first — sometimes it'll register as a pinch and try to scale the text instead — but after a few minutes, you learn the minor nuances that make it a bit easier to use. We wish it had more options for sending your text files to Dropbox or other apps besides Mail, but copying and pasting is easy enough with the gestures that it isn't a huge deal. It's still worth trying out for its improved text editing features.
Tyype HD is a $0.99 download for iPad only.