Ever wondered if you respond to emails too slowly, or what kinds of email you receive most often? Gmail Meter is a simple script designed for Google Docs that can get to the bottom of how you communicate, statistically speaking.
What will Gmail Meter uncover? How many emails you've received and sent, what your email traffic looks like each day, your various categories of email, word count, and — my favourite — how long it takes you to respond to a message (on average). It's pretty easy to set up. Just watch the video below or follow these instructions:
- Go into your http://docs.google.com account and make a new spreadsheet. Call it "Gmail Meter".
- Go to the Tools menu and choose Script Gallery.
- Type "Gmail Meter" in the search box and click the Search button.
- You should only have on result: "Gmail Meter" (surprise!). Click the Install button next to it and authorise the script when prompted. Once you authorise, you'll also need to grant access to the script, so go ahead and do that.
- You'll now see a "Gmail Meter" menu option. Click it and choose "Get Report".
- When prompted for what type of report, you should probably choose "Monthly report" to start rather than a custom one, but it's up to you.
- The script will start generating the report. It may take a while, but you'll receive an email when it's ready. Just set it aside and come back when you're notified.
That's it! Just hang tight and you'll have some potentially very interesting statistics soon.
Know Your Gmail Stats using Gmail Meter [Official Gmail Blog]