Today Apple announced the availability of iOS 5.1 for most of the world and, in a couple of weeks, Japan (which will finally get Siri). While there are few significant changes, there are minor but notable updates. Here are the elements we think are the most relevant:
- iPhone 4S battery and reception issues should improve, thanks to various bug fixes, optimisations and new baseband firmware.
- You can now delete photos from your photo stream.
- The camera shortcut is now always visible on the home screen.
- Any audio dropouts during calls should now be a thing of the past.
- iPads get a redesigned camera app, a 30 second rewind button on podcasts, and audio optimisations for movies and TV shows to make them louder and clearer.
You can update now via Software Update on your iDevice or you can manually install through iTunes. Jailbreakers should hold off for now as there's no word of when an iOS 5.1 jailbreak will be available.