It's the middle of winter in the northern hemisphere, and while I haven't seen the snow I'd like to see, Flickr user yeesh23 hails from London and decided to bring the snow to her desktop if it wouldn't come to her window. A beautiful snow-covered wallpaper, a little GeekTool action and some dock tweaks were all she needed.
If you'd like the same look on your Mac's desktop, here's what you'll need.
- The Winter Sun wallpaper from InterfaceLift
- GeekTool to configure the stime and date geeklets on the desktop
- The League Gothic font to use with GeekTool
- BowTie, a previously mentioned desktop mini-controller for iTunes, and the rolli theme for it
- The Flurry System icon set for the dock
- Mirage for Mac to make the dock invisible and add separators
- Candybar from Panic Software to turn the dock indicators into arrows
- And a terminal tweak to make the dock 2D: Open the terminal and type defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES and then relaunch the dock
If you're unfamiliar with GeekTool and want to get started with the kind of scripts you'll need to make your desktop look like this one, check out our guide to getting started with GeekTool.
Winter // January 2012 [Flickr]