Longstanding owners have to pay $31.99 to upgrade to Lion, but if you’ve purchased a Mac since June 7 you’re entitled to a free upgrade. Here’s how to get it.
Don’t make the mistake of going directly to the Mac App Store, as that will hit you up for the $31.99. Instead, follow these steps, as tested by our art director Ben:
- Go to www.apple.com/au/macosx/uptodate/ and select the appropriate upgrade path.
- You’ll be asked for date/place of purchase, then asked to log into the Apple ID you purchased the machine with.
- You’ll then need to confirm the security code on the credit card that is attached to the Apple ID.
- You are then taken back to the Apple store, with no confirmation screen.
- You should then get an Order Acknowledgement email within 5-10 minutes containing a redemption/content code for the OS X App Store and a direct link to the store.
- When the code is entered, Lion starts downloading automatically (so make sure you’re not wasting bandwidth).
You need to complete this process before August 21. Thanks Ben!