Australian Online Stores Sold $143 Billion Worth Of Stuff In A Year

Australian Online Stores Sold $143 Billion Worth Of Stuff In A Year

Someone better get Gerry Harvey an aspirin. According to new Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) research, the total value of goods sold by Australian online stores in 2009-2010 was $143 billion.

That figure was up 15% on the previous year, reaffirming that online is now an important retail channel. The other odd statistic? Amongst businesses with an Internet connection, 96.7% use broadband. I hope that remaining 3.3% is companies forced to use satellite rather than still hanging out on dial-up connections.



  • let us say 1% of all aussies buy online ie approx 200,000 individuals.

    143 million i accept but not 143 billion. this would equate to $715,000 per online purchaser (where as $715 i accept). these figures must be tainted with mining company purchases. we better introduce a carbon tax quick smart!

    • But what possible basis do you have for suggesting that only 1% of the population shops online? On any available measure (e.g. number of people with eBay accounts), that’s a ridiculous underestimate.

      • ok then show me the figures. foregoing big business, tell me what % of average australians shope online. Even a generous 20% (4 M) equates to 35K each. i for one did not spend that much online last year

  • Satellite is technically broadband – I think Telstra sells the slowest plan at 256/64, and every other one around is at least double the speed.

    I’m guessing the remaining 3.3% are dialup or isdn, for companies too remote for cable/dsl and where either the cost or latency of satellite makes it unsuitable.

    • Guys

      If you read the details on the ABS website you will find that this figure represents all trade done by Australians, businesses + individuals, where the commitment to purchase is made via the Internet. Internet orders include purchase orders that are sent via email.

      So I think your ascertain that our purchases as individuals over the web constitute a major portion of this figure is a mistake. This figure would be impacted mainly by all the business to business activity that is done via electronic means.

      That said the sub set of this figure that represents retail sales via the internet would most probably still give Jerry, who’s Harvey Norman stores generate 6billion in annual sales, a good reason to pop an aspirin.

  • The actual title of the ABS article is “Australian businesses take $143 billion worth of internet orders”. The title of this article makes the assertion that it’s “Australian Online Stores ” which I feel is misleading and the source of the misunderstanding…. Anyway enjoy the debate 🙂

  • wholesale trade and manufacturing making up 40%, retail coming in 5th.
    It is $143bn worth of internet orders, not goods – it may include services as well.

    It seems large, but probably isn’t as ‘amazing’ as some people might think it is.

    Now if it was just online consumer retail….hmm..maybe I should get in the game.

  • What helps online businesses no end is the fact that Australian retail stores have some of the worst service around (“You right there buddy?”being a standard greeting). Ask any fellow Aussie who’s shopped retail overseas and they’ll confirm it.

    • How would you prefer retail slaves greet you?
      I’m just curious as in my experience customers in Australia prefer more informal modes of greeting.
      In fact I’ve been screamed at for being ‘too formal’ a few times. No customer ever complained about informality in over 10 years.

      • Nobody’s ever screamed at you or anyone else for being too formal. And nine times out of ten the retail person being formal has turned out to be the manager – maybe that’s why they didn’t remain retail slaves like the others who try to act like they’re at the pub. /rant

  • Talk about a misleading heading.

    Anyway, I bet online sales are growing just as fast in all those countries with (apparently) superior service, indicating service has nothing to do with it. It’s about convenience and, to some degree, price.

Show more comments

Log in to comment on this story!