Since Twitter’s inception, it’s been looked down upon as a place for self-centered technophiles to share the mundane details of their lives. We at Lifehacker know better than that, though—here are our favourite ways to turn Twitter into a useful tool, without becoming one yourself.We’ve shared some of our non-breakfast related Twitter uses before, but over the past few years Twitter has evolved, grown more popular, and we’ve just discovered more clever and productive uses for it. Some of these you may recognise, but even the ones we’ve discussed before may have been updated, so be sure to check them all out if you’re looking to upgrade your Twitter usage.
10. Quickly Access Productivity Tools
9. Get Search Results For Timely News
8. Find A Job
7. Get Up-To-The-Minute Updates On Your Favourite Software
6. Use It As A Quick-Access Cloud Notebook
5. Discover News And Articles You Otherwise Wouldn’t Have
4. Get Alerts And Inspiration On Pretty Much Anything
3. Control DIY Home Automation Projects
Whether you need to send a quick command or get alerts for something happening at home, Twitter has become a very popular tool for home automation projects. You can do something simple like control your PC from afar with TweetMyPC, or do a more complicated project like tell your coffee pot to start brewing. With the Twitter API and an Arduino, there are pretty much no limits to what you can control.
2. Get Instant Customer Support
1. Get Specific Answers And Advice From A Knowledgeable Pool
These are some of our favourite clever uses we’ve discovered over the years, but there’s bound to be more out there. So if you have a clever way of using Twitter (productive or not), be sure to share it with us in the comments below.