The great truth that is rarely told by artists, according to Austin Kleon, is that they borrow their ideas from other sources. That, along with 9 other topics, was the subject of a talk he gave at Broome Community College and is now posted up on his blog.Image courtesy hisgett.
His post contains much excellent advice mainly for artists but also applicable to just about anyone. Boiled down into the main points:
- Steal Like An Artist
- Don't wait until you know who you are to start making things
- Write the book you want to read
- Use your hands
- Side projects and hobbies are important
- The secret: do good work and put it where people can see it
- Geography is no longer our master
- Be nice. The world is a small town
- Be boring. It's the only way to get work done
- Creativity is subtraction
Head on over to his blog to read more about each of these tips that he wishes someone had told him earlier.