Yahoo just launched Yahoo Search Direct, a Google Instant-like search tool that provides instant results as you type, offers trending searches to get you to news before you start typing, and displays handy (and attractive) "direct answers" results for things like weather.
Yahoo's video demonstration (above) offers a nice overview. The instant results fall under the following types:
· Trending Searches – The moment the cursor hits the search box, top search trends appear and are updated every 10 minutes to display the latest and greatest search trends.
· Search Previews – Search Direct predicts the search term as you type, providing the 10 most likely searches. You can then easily scan each option to see the related top results and find the best match for your needs.
· Direct Answers – For many common searches, Search Direct provides instant answers before you click the Search button. Find an address or phone number, a three-day weather forecast, financial stock performance, the top trending stories at Yahoo! News, or when and where a movie is playing – all without going to a results page.
· Direct Results – When you scan the search options and find the site you need, Search Direct provides exactly that – direct access to the site. No more overwhelming pages of links.
· Rich Content – For all top searches about sports, top news stories, and finance, Search Direct displays rich content that only the world's largest digital media company can provide. For example, type "n" to get the Yahoo! News display, which always shows the top two trending stories.
Not a bad feature, especially if Yahoo's your search destination of choice. It's available at search.yahoo.com now.